Growing Up Spiritually Pt1
Our Call to Spiritual Growth
Sunday, February 23, 2020
I. Growing Up Spiritually
A. Our Call to Spiritual Growth
1.Introduction: What does it mean to be saved? Why do we go to church? What is the purpose of all of this Christian stuff?
a. (Matt. 5:13-16 MSG) salt and light
b. (John 15:1-8, 14-17 TPT) fruit bearers
2. (Eph. 4:11-16 NLT) One of the responsibilities of the 5-fold ministry and the church is to create systems and environments conducive to spiritual development and maturity so we can all bear fruit.
a. (v11-12) The purpose of the 5-fold ministry is to equip the saints:
~To do the work of the ministry
~To build up the church (His body).
b. (v13) Until we all come to:
~The unity of the faith
~The full knowledge of Jesus
c. (v14) The goal is that we:
~Grow up into mature believers
~Have stability and commitment
~Not be deceived by false doctrine
~(v15) speak the truth in love
~Grow up in every way more and more like Christ
~(v16) as we each do our part, it helps the whole body grow up healthy and mature.
3. (1 Cor. 3:1-3 NLT) Spiritual immaturity is the main cause of the discontentment, division, divorce and destruction in the lives of believers.
a.(Gal. 5:13-26 NLT) Spirit-led vs. flesh-led lives
b. Identity crisis: Christ esteem vs. self-esteem
~Many believers more identify with their race than their redemption.
~Many believers more identify with their political affiliation than their scriptural identification.
4. (Gal. 4:1-3) our inheritance is awaiting our spiritual maturity.
5. (Heb. 5:11- 6:3 NLT) a call to spiritual growth.
a. Politically correct vs. Biblically correct
6. (1 Cor. 13:11) spiritual child vs. spiritual man
[Pastor Lee Stokes]